Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Need Your Opinion...Please :)

Well here's the thing, like most pups I have to stay in my crate when my Mom and Dad go out, but lately they have left me out a couple times, only when they knew they would be back within a reasonable amount of time (like going to the grocery store, or other small errands). I have been a very good girl while they went out. I didn't even have an accident or chew anything up! Which is the point of this post...Am I some kind of unusual puppy? I have never even been caught chewing on anything besides my toys even when they are home.


So the question that my Mom has is...Is this too good to be true? Can a puppy at just six months of age be trusted to stay out of her crate? My mom has precautions because with my sis, Mylie had many incidents along the way before she could be fully trusted, but she has no problems now.


I look innocent enough, right?!
Tell me what you all think!
Thanks,
Daisy Boo

8 comments:

  1. So innocent! We leave FInn out and from time to time she finds herself in trouble. It's okay for the most part, nothing that can't be replaced. I would just slowly build up that amount of time until you're comfortable! And make sure she has plenty of things to keep her busy throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to agree with Finn. Ciara was very good when she was left out of her crate around six months too. Our first sibes Dakota (now passed) and Phantom were a dynamic duo and very destructive as pups. It was a long time before they were to be trusted. Now we have Lightning. He is crated at night and when Mom and Dad are not home. He really behaves very well, but so far Mom isn't ready to trust him. Also around 9-12 months, they say we become wild teenagers, so maybe your Mom can keep an eye out for that just to be on the safe side.

    Maybe your Mom can try extending the time little by little and restrict the area where you can be free. We have gates all over the place here.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  3. We agree with the idea to increase your time away a little bit at a time! We also bought a baby gate at Target (it was much cheaper than the dog gates we saw at Petco).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it helps that Daisy has Mylie to play with. Daisy gets tired so she spends her free time playing then takes a nap and would have no time to be destructive. A good toy to give is a Kong and stuff it with treats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daisy's mom here- Update, we are on vacation & Daisy is doing well being out of her crate. Went from two hours, to three and then 4 1/2. No accidents! I still don't totally trust her but we're getting there.

    She'll be back to blogging Monday when we get home! No computer with Internet access here at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woof! Woof! That's great ... sometime it takes time. But as a Golden for sure you'll have no issues. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete